Sausage-Apple Puff Pancake Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a 10-in. ovenproof skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, cook apples and brown sugar in butter over medium heat until apples are tender.
- 2. In a blender, combine the eggs, milk, flour, sugar and salt; cover and process for 10 seconds or until smooth. Pour over apple mixture. Sprinkle with sausage and cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 18-23 minutes or until pancake is puffy and golden brown. Cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream and syrup if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece: 485 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 273mg cholesterol, 750mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Reviews for Sausage-Apple Puff Pancake
"I cut this recipe in half and placed it in a 7 inch skillet. I used whole wheat pastry flour & skim milk. I also substituted the sugar for maple syrup. It has the perfect amount of sweet and salty."
"This is a quick, easy recipe we make again and again at our house. I love that you can use one dish to make it."
"This was absolutely delicious. My husband ate it w/o syrup and enjoyed it as much as my kids who aite it with (believe it or not) a small amount of syrup. It would be even easier if the sausage was cooked the night before which is what I will do the next time."
"This recipe was super good. I was a little doubtful about the apples too, but they make the perfect complement to the cheese and sausage, and the flavors blend very well. I baked it for 23 minutes and had no problems with it being done. I'm wondering if some people might have baked it in frying pan that was smaller than 10 inches and so it was thicker? I baked it in a 9.5" saute pan."
"We really enjoyed this but did need to bake it much longer than stated. My husband doesn't often rave about new things I make but sure did with this!"
"I baked it for 30 minutes, but it still hadn't set when I took it out so that the top wouldn't get over-brown. I'm not sure what went wrong. It tasted fine otherwise."
"Loved loved loved this recipe. For what it's worth, I found that I had to cook it much longer than the suggested time"
"My family loves "German pancakes" so I was excited to make this for them. They loved it! In fact my 8 year old said, "Mom, I didn't know if I would like the apple in this, but it is like the best part!" We didn't even top it with syrup or sour cream, it was THAT good! Thanks for a great (BLD-breakfast, lunch, dinner) recipe!"