To make breakfast a little more satisfying, I added sausage to a sweet quick bread. Serve this bread warm, nestled next to your favorite scrambled eggs. —Anita Hunter, Stilwell, Kansas
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 medium apples, peeled and shredded (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- Maple syrup, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 9-in. round baking pan. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk flours, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, brown sugar, apple cider and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in apples and half of the sausage. Transfer to prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix oats, brown sugar and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in remaining sausage. Sprinkle over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, drizzle with maple syrup. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sausage-Apple Breakfast Bread in Taste of Home February/March 2016, p43
Reviews for Sausage-Apple Breakfast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 20, 2016
"I substituted Quorn meatless sausage for the pork sausage. Delicious. Thank you, Anita, for sharing this recipe."