Sausage and Zucchini
This fast, flavorful dish appears on our table many times in summer when zucchini is abundant. The combination of zucchini, sausage and cheese is a real taste treat.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked sausage
- 4 cups cubed zucchini
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut sausage in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-in. slices; brown in a
- large skillet over medium heat. Drain. Add the zucchini, tomatoes,
- onion, lemon juice, oregano, salt and hot pepper sauce if desired.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until zucchini is just crisp-tender. Sprinkle
- with flour; toss to coat. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2
- minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from the heat; cover and let
- stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 300 calories, 23 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 61 mg cholesterol, 1,018 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 14 g protein.