- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add the rice and sausage.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Sausage and Wild Rice Casserole
Sort By :
I found this recipe in the 1980's in a list of recipes that won awards. I don't usually like casseroles due to the amount of "creamy" they have but this one is delicious. My casserole loving husband likes it, too. Over the years, I've changed it up but the original is honestly the best. (Hot sausage is a nice change if you like spicy) I use the light cream of celery soup rather than cream of mushroom. I have also topped it with everything from au gratin to potato chips to fried onion rings. Not bad but original is still the best.
Wonderful recipe! My husband doesn't like casseroles, and even he said he would eat it again! Very tasty.