MY husband's grandmother used to make this soup with her own homemade sausage and homemade tortellini. Since it has been passed down, we don’t “hand make” those ingredients but it’s almost as good as hers. It’s a great way to get the kids to eat spinach!
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat, add spinach and tortellini; cook for 7-9 minutes or until tortellini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Sausage Tortellini Soup in Reminisce December/January 2009, p51
Reviews for Sausage and Spinach Tortellini Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review