This recipe has been in our family for over 50 years, and it's always been our favorite casserole! Now that our four children are grown and gone, I don't often make family-sized meals...but we still enjoy this casserole often, because it's so simple to prepare and reheats nicely.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, sauerkraut and sugar to skillet. Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Drain macaroni; add to skillet with cheese. Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Sauerkraut Casserole in Reminisce Extra April 1993, p51
Reviews for Sausage and Sauerkraut Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review