Sausage and Pumpkin Pasta Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked multigrain bow tie pasta
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the sausage, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, pumpkin, wine, sage, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Drain pasta; add to the skillet and heat through. Just before serving, sprinkle with cheese and parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1-3/4 cups equals 348 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 733 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.