Quick-prep veggies and simple seasonings get this saucy meat-lover’s pizza casserole on the table pronto. It’s great for potlucks, too, as it can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a large group. —Julie Glisson Zdero, Racine, Wisconsin
- 4 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3 Italian sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 envelopes thick and zesty spaghetti sauce mix
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook penne according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, mushrooms, pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain and remove from pan.
- Cook pepperoni in the same pan until heated through. Return sausage mixture to the pan.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, spaghetti sauce mix, olives, oil and garlic salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Drain pasta; stir into sausage mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pasta in Simple & Delicious February/March 2013, p19
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review