Sausage and Egg Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Sausage and Egg Casserole(24)
Sort By :
I have been making this recipe for years and is the one I keep going back to. I sauté a few fresh mushrooms and a little onion with the sausage and my recipe calls for a dozen eggs, and less milk. Can get a little salty, I use less.
I've had this recipe for years and I used it every holiday and when I have a family brunch. So easy to make. I mix it the night before, cover it and refrigerate in baking dish over night. Pull it out in the morning and bake for 1 hour. It's ready to go when you are! And get complements galore, they think you spent hours making it. I can't say enough about it!!! I rate it 5 stars ++
I doubled+ everything except the sausage. It was wonderful!
Just made this and it was good. We added tater tots instead of bread. Next time I will leave out the teaspoon of salt as it was too salty, since the cheese and the sausage already have salt added. Other than that really good.
My mother began making this classic recipe in the early 1980's when it was published in Southern Living. Christmas Eve she would assemble the dish, in the morning she would put in the oven when she work up. It baked as we opened gifts. Now, I make it for my children. The only change that I made is I add one small can of chopped green chilies and use HOT pork sausage. My husband and teenage boys love this kicked up version!!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >