Sausage and Cheese Souffle Recipe
I created this souffle based on a recipe from my great aunt. I even make it for Sunday dinner with applesauce, bread and a tossed salad.
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the sausage. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into sausage-cheese mixture.
- 3. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Place in a large baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 310 calories, 25 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 203 mg cholesterol, 511 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC