Sausage and Cheese Souffle Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1. In a small skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and salt; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Stir in the sausage. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into sausage-cheese mixture.
- 3. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Place in a large baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 4-6 servings.
3/4 cup: 310 calories, 25g fat (13g saturated fat), 203mg cholesterol, 511mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, trace fiber), 13g protein
Reviews for Sausage and Cheese Souffle
"Good but is very hard to stir constantly and beat the egg whites."