- 1 pound bulk sage pork sausage
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- 4 egg whites
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons water
- Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ground mustard, baking soda, salt and pepper. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk egg whites and buttermilk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened. Stir in sausage and 2 cups cheese. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times.
- Divide dough in half; pat each half into an 8-in. circle. Cut each into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Beat egg yolks and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with Dijon mustard. Yield: 16 scones.
Originally published as Sausage and Cheddar Scones in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2013, p30
Reviews for Sausage and Cheddar Scones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review