Sausage and Bean Soup Recipe
“I love to prepare this soup when the weather turns crisp," writes Joan Hallford from North Richland Hills, Texas. "It tastes like it has simmered away all day on the stove, but is ready in less than half an hour. It's become a real family favorite.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min. YIELD:5 servings
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced halved fresh carrots
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces smoked Polish sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in carrots and potatoes; cook for 2 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 9-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Stir in the sausage, green beans, kidney beans, parsley, salt, pepper and marjoram; heat through. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 305 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 1,000 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC