“I love to prepare this soup when the weather turns crisp," writes Joan Hallford from North Richland Hills, Texas. "It tastes like it has simmered away all day on the stove, but is ready in less than half an hour. It's become a real family favorite.”
- 2 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced halved fresh carrots
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces smoked Polish sausage, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh marjoram or 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in carrots and potatoes; cook for 2 minutes. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 9-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the sausage, green beans, kidney beans, parsley, salt, pepper and marjoram; heat through. Sprinkle with reserved bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sausage and Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p50
Reviews for Sausage and Bean Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review