Sausage 'n' Spinach Pockets Recipe
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and mushrooms. Add mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese if desired; mix well and set aside.
- 2. Separate crescent dough into eight rectangles; seal perforations and flatten slightly to 5-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangles. Place about 1/3 cup sausage mixture on half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Beat egg and water; brush on edges of dough. Bring unfilled half of dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg mixture. Sprinkle the cornmeal on a greased baking sheet; place pockets on baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 213 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Sausage 'n' Spinach Pockets
"I used this yummy filling with my own roll dough and baked and froze them to use for quick lunches. They are delicious! I have also used canned mushrooms in place of fresh and the change is fine."