I've found that these appetizing pockets are the perfect way to sneak some vegetables into my kids' meals. They are a favorite weekend snack around our house.
Recommended: Handheld Recipes for Busy People On-The-Go
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach and mushrooms. Add mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese if desired; mix well and set aside.
- Separate crescent dough into eight rectangles; seal perforations and flatten slightly to 5-in. x 4-1/2-in. rectangles. Place about 1/3 cup sausage mixture on half of each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Beat egg and water; brush on edges of dough. Bring unfilled half of dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Brush tops with egg mixture. Sprinkle the cornmeal on a greased baking sheet; place pockets on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sausage 'n' Spinach Pockets in Country Pork 1996, p30
Reviews for Sausage 'n' Spinach Pockets
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2009
"I used this yummy filling with my own roll dough and baked and froze them to use for quick lunches. They are delicious! I have also used canned mushrooms in place of fresh and the change is fine."