Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut Recipe
- 2 pounds fresh Polish sausage
- 1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mashed potatoes, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown sausage until a thermometer reads 160°; drain. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/4-inch pieces; return to pan. Stir in the sauerkraut, tomatoes with liquid, celery, onion, green pepper, brown sugar and seasonings.
- 2. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.
1 cup: 460 calories, 37g fat (12g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 1518mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein .
Reviews for Sausage 'n' Sauerkraut
"Quite delicious and easy. My husband made it last night and added a splash of beer to deglaze the post after browning the sausage. I will definitely make this again. If I had a suggestion I would say that the mashed potatoes shouldn't be optional. It really balances out the dish."
"Good and easy."
"This is one of our staple recipes. It's consistently wonderful. Sometimes I substitute Italian sausabe for the Polish sausage."