Sausage 'n' Chicken Skillet Recipe
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 pound smoked turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the kielbasa, onion and green pepper until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the water, rice, bouillon, hot pepper sauce, and remaining thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- 3. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 296 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 352 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Sausage 'n' Chicken Skillet
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.