- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, unroll pizza crust; pat into a 15x11-in. rectangle. Cut into four rectangles. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over half of each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Drain sausage. Add spinach; cook and stir over medium heat until spinach is wilted. Remove from heat. Stir in ricotta cheese, salt and pepper; spread over mozzarella cheese. Fold dough over filling; press edges with a fork to seal.
- Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Sausage & Spinach Calzones
"very tasty and easy"
"yes you can freeze just make sure thay arecooled, they are wonderfull for left overs.db"
"Very good!!! Bake in a pan that has sides as it may leak juices."
"Very easy! I used turkey sausage, fat free ricotta, and added some garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano and my results were outstanding!"
"I haven't made this recipe. Since I live alone, can these be frozen? If so should I freeze them pre baking or after baking them? Thanks a lot."
"These are definitely a "keeper" according to hubby...I did heat up some marinara sauce to dip the bites into. They would have been a little dry without, but then I like sauces and dippers. They will be made again, and I'm known as only making things once...thanks for the recipe..."
"Very flavourful and a great way to get some dark greens into your kids diet!!"
"These were really good! And FYI you don't need to "stay gluten free" unless you have a disease that requires you to. It's not the same as low carb and some people are confused and misinformed about gluten!"
"I purchase Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough (or make my own), divide it into 4 pieces, and roll it into circles. On each circle, I put 1/4 of the filling on half of the circle to 1 inch of the edge, then bring the other half over to seal and bake. I also add onion, mushrooms, and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese to the filling before putting it on the dough. They are sooooo good."