Sausage & Rice Stew Recipe
“My husband loves sausage, so I find ways to serve it with healthy ingredients, like beans and spinach.” This hearty recipe will have your taste buds begging for more. Kelly Young - Cocoa, Florida
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked turkey kielbasa, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled jalapeno slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the kielbasa, onion, shallots, jalapeno and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Add the water, broth, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in spinach. Cook 5 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Yield: 6 servings.
1-2/3 cups equals 369 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 1,162 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC