It’s hard to beat the classic Italian flavors of this hearty, comforting dish. It has a slight kick, so omit the pepper flakes if you don’t want the heat. —Tammy Rowe, Bellevue, Ohio
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and green pepper in oil over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings; heat through.
- Drain pasta; toss with tomato mixture. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage & Penne Marinara in Simple & Delicious June/July 2010, p28
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sausage & Penne Marinara
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review