Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Squash Recipe
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the soup, croutons, milk, Parmesan and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Drain water from squash. Turn squash over; stuff with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Squash
Sort By :
Made just as recipe is written. I used Bob Evans Italian pork sausage roll. I had never cooked with acorn squash before but now this is one of my favorites. Have made several times. Very good!
This has outstanding flavor! Much better than just a meat mixture baked inside the squash. Followed the recipe as is. I only had 2 acorn squash so I had about 1cup of stuffing left over. I an anxious to use the stuffing for stuffed zucchini. I never made stuffed acorn squash before....but I will definitely be making it again with this recipe. Would also like to try using stuffing mix in place of salad croutons. Another great recipe.....Thanks Taste of Home!!!
Made exactly as written. Whole family loved it.
This was a great recipe to use to introduce my husband to acorn squash, as it includes os many of his favorite ingredients (sausage, mushrooms, cheese, white wine). I used sage flavored Jimmy Dean sausage and we really enjoyed it!