Sausage & Mushroom Stuffed Squash Recipe
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup salad croutons
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place cut side down in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Add water. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, mushrooms, onion, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in the soup, croutons, milk, Parmesan and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- 3. Drain water from squash. Turn squash over; stuff with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 stuffed squash half equals 463 calories, 25 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 977 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.