- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each ) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Fat-free plain Greek yogurt and minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, cook and crumble sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In same pot, saute onion, celery and carrot until tender, 4-6 minutes. Add garlic and seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in sausage, lentils, tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf.
Transfer 5 cups soup to a blender; cool slightly. Cover; process until smooth. Return to pot; heat through. If desired, top servings with yogurt and parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 12 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage & Lentil Soup in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2017, p29
Reviews for Sausage & Lentil Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review