- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in kale; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until lentils and kale are tender. Remove bay leaf.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew
"A real winner! I'm glad I doubled it because we all loved it!"
"Made this stew last night for the first and not the last time! My whole family loved it! I did not have vegetable broth on hand so made beef broth with Better than Bouillon reduced sodium beef base. I also added more roasted peppers because we like them so much. Great recipe and really healthy!"