I made a pot of this awesome soup when visiting my sister and her family. Now, I'll bring it along when I stop by or pack up a few containers for my nephew, who appreciates a home-cooked meal while he's off at college. —Tiffany Ihle, Bronx, New York
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 10 baby carrots, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup roasted sweet red peppers
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh kale
- In a Dutch oven, cook sausage, carrots and onion over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles. Stir in garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Place tomatoes and red peppers in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add to sausage mixture; stir in lentils, broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kale; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until lentils and kale are tender. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sausage & Kale Lentil Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review