This hearty casserole has a flavor combination that the whole family will love. “My husband, who is always suspicious of new dishes, loves this one. It's become a regular in our rotation.” -Beth Cholette of Penfield, New York
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- In a large skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until onion is crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sausage & Beans with Rice in Simple & Delicious September/October 2008, p54
Reviews for Sausage & Beans with Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review