Sauerkraut Soup Recipe
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add sauerkraut and tomato paste; mix well. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. If a thinner soup is desired, add additional water or chicken broth. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 257 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 1167mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein .
Reviews for Sauerkraut Soup
"This soup is OK - Kinda bla for me - I probably wont make it again"
"This is a long time family favorite! I use my homemade sauerkraut and substitute my own canned tomato juice for the tomato paste and some of the chicken broth. Paired with fresh biscuits or homemade bread, it makes a wonderful meal."
"I made this back when it was published in 1994. Pasted that issue on to others and I've searched for this recipe for years. I love this soup. I made my own chicken stock and didn't drain the saurerkraut and did add fresh ground pepper. AWESOME soup. I'm so glad I found this recipe. I know what's for supper."
"This soup was just OK. It needed something. I added salt and pepper, crushed red pepper, brown sugar and carroway seeds which made it better. But if I decided to make it again, I think I would cut the amount of saurkraut in half."
"We like pepper in our soups, so I added 1-2 teaspoons of pepper. Making it again tonight!"
"I didn't have a bit of trouble making this! I first made it 2 weeks ago. I prefer more of a tomato presence and I did add in a can of diced tomatoes. I loved it! As a matter of fact, I plan to make it again tomorrow. Already got all the stuff!! Yum!!"
"I have made this soup many, many times and everytime people ask for the recipe...its great!!!"
"i used all the ingredients on the list except i used only 3 potatoes. the recipe says to boil the broth and all the veggies for an half hr. i boiled it for 10 minutes knowing thats when the potatoes would be done. i added the sauerkraut and instantly there was no more broth. i didnt even get to the 2nd cooking stage and it was just a big blob of mush. i wont be making this again."