Sauerkraut Soup Recipe
The medley of tomato, sauerkraut and smoked sausage gives this savory soup old-world flavor. It's enjoyable to make and serve, especially during these cold months. The tangy taste and aroma really warm you up! —Jean Marie Cornelius, Whitesville, New York
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2- inch pieces
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine sausage, potatoes, onions, carrots and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Add sauerkraut and tomato paste; mix well. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer. If a thinner soup is desired, add additional water or chicken broth. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 257 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 1,167 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC