This sweet crunchy combination marinates overnight, so it's handy to make ahead of time. "It's often served at barbecues and picnics," notes Frances Campbell of Austin, Texas.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- In a bowl, combine the sauerkraut, celery, onion, pimientos, green
- pepper and carrot. In another bowl, combine the sugar and vinegar
- until sugar is dissolved. Pour over vegetable mixture. Cover and
- refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 235 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 479 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.