Sauerkraut Side Dish
Even those folks who say they don't like sauerkraut have told me that they like this recipe. I'm always on the lookout to add quick and easy recipes to my kitchen file, and that's one of the reasons why this dish is among my favorites.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional brown sugar, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the
- sauerkraut, apples, potato, broth, sugar, caraway and salt; mix
- well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples are
- tender. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 126 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 930 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein.