Sauerkraut Side Dish Recipe
Even those folks who say they don't like sauerkraut have told me that they like this recipe. I'm always on the lookout to add quick and easy recipes to my kitchen file, and that's one of the reasons why this dish is among my favorites.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Additional brown sugar, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the sauerkraut, apples, potato, broth, sugar, caraway and salt; mix well. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples are tender. Sprinkle with additional brown sugar if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Side Dish in Country Extra September 1995, p49
Reviews for Sauerkraut Side Dish(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review