Sauerkraut Rye Bread
"Caraway and sauerkraut add deliciously subtle flavor to this hearty bread," informs Mary Kelly of Hopland, California. "The loaf bakes up into a lovely brown rye color."
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select the basic bread setting. Choose light crust
- color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine
- directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2
- tablespoons water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 103 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 297 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.