"Caraway and sauerkraut add deliciously subtle flavor to this hearty bread," informs Mary Kelly of Hopland, California. "The loaf bakes up into a lovely brown rye color."
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select the basic bread setting. Choose light crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Originally published as Sauerkraut Rye Bread in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p57
Reviews for Sauerkraut Rye Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review