- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sauerkraut, well drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select the basic bread setting. Choose light crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (2 pounds).
Reviews for Sauerkraut Rye Bread
Sort By :
"I made this bread yesterday. We had some for supper and I was not impressed. I guess I was expecting to have a slight taste of sauerkraut. I did like the bread better today. I will admit that I only had 3/4 cup of sauerkraut from a can that was open. I added 3 tablespoons of dry buttermilk powder to the recipe and it made the texture of the bread rather fine. All in all a good recipe and I will probably make it again."
"Very moist and tasty. I use this bread for Reuben sandwiches, and have had many compliments about the texture and flavor. Thank you!"
"Amazing collection of flavors, toasted with butter and honey this is sublime!"
"THE IDEA OF SAUERKRAUT BREAD SOUNDS GOOD BUT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH WATER. IT ONLY CALLS FOR 3/4 CUP+ 1 T. I THOUGHT WHEN I STARTED IT THAT IT WASN'T ENOUGH THEN I THINK I GOT TOO MUCH. IT DIDN'T RAISE AND REALLY DIDN'T BAKE CLEAR THROUGH. THE TASTE WAS GOOD. I SEE NO ONE ELSE HAS REVIEWED THIS RECIPE. I WILL TRY IT AGAIN BUT PUT IN MORE WATER."