Sauerkraut Pork Supper
This recipe couldn't be easier—layer pork roast, vegetables and seasonings in a roasting pan, put it in the oven and forget it.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 3 hours + standing
- 2 cans (one 27 ounces, one 14 ounces), sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 boneless rolled pork loin roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut in half widthwise and quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place half of the sauerkraut in a large roasting pan. Place pork
- roast over sauerkraut; top with remaining sauerkraut. Spoon tomatoes
- over top. Arrange the celery, carrots and onion around roast.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over tomatoes and sauerkraut. Add the parsley,
- bay leaves, oregano and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a meat
- thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with pan juices.
- Discard bay leaves. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing. Yield:
- 8-10 servings.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as