This zesty recipe is a great way to pep up a party! The hot pork sausage and sauerkraut make terrific-tasting meatballs, and the mustard dipping sauce is a nice complement. —Christine Batts, Murray, Kentucky
Featured In: Game Day Potluck Recipes
- 1/2 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- In a skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in sauerkraut and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic salt and pepper; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; roll in flour. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip meatballs into egg mixture, then roll in remaining bread crumbs. In an electric skillet, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°. Fry meatballs until golden brown; drain. Combine mayonnaise and mustard; serve with meatballs. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Meatballs in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p31
Reviews for Sauerkraut Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2009
"I doubled this recipe using a 8 oz of cream cheese and a 32 oz bag of saurkraut. It is the hit of all gatherings. Delicious!"