Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion over medium heat until tender. Stir sauerkraut into potatoes; sprinkle with onion and bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes
Sort By :
"Had a version of this when visiting the Netherlands. They served with knockwurst (aka ring bologna).This is a great quick version if you do not have time for fresh mashed potatoes.Have served this with grilled bratwurst.Great side."
"I was searching for a recipe to use some sauerkraut I had been given this past fall and thought this one looked very yummy! I tried it tonight and it was fantastic!! I did change things a bit, like all home cooks will. I used fresh mashed potatoes and added about 1/4 cup of butter and 1/4 cup of sour cream when mashing them. I also added the bacon with the sauerkraut when mixing into the mashed potatoes. I didn't use onions. Super Delish and I will make it again!! Thanks for the idea!! :)"