Even people who claim not to like sauerkraut will enjoy this tangy side dish from Betsy Esley of Three Mile Bay in New York. She uses handy convenience products to make it as quick and easy as it is delicious. "It's also especially good served with ham or any pork dish," Betsy adds. "And the flavor is even better the next day—if you're lucky enough to have leftovers!"
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-2/3 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, milk, butter and salt; bring to a boil. Stir in potato flakes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion over medium heat until tender. Stir sauerkraut into potatoes; sprinkle with onion and bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006, p21
Reviews for Sauerkraut Mashed Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review