Sauerkraut Latkes Recipe
Really? Sauerkraut in potato pancakes? Oh yes, when the apples mellow the tang so very nicely. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apples, sauerkraut and eggs. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; stir into potato mixture.
- 2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Top with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
3 latkes (calculated without sour cream) equals 306 calories, 20 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 658 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC