Really? Sauerkraut in potato pancakes? Oh yes, when the apples mellow the tang so very nicely. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apples, sauerkraut and eggs.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper; stir into potato mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry
- in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as
- needed. Drain on paper towels. Top with sour cream and green onions
- if desired.
- Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 3 latkes (calculated without sour cream) equals 306 calories, 20 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 658 mg sodium,