Really? Sauerkraut in potato pancakes? Oh yes, when the apples mellow the tang so very nicely. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
- 1-1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- Sour cream and chopped green onions, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apples, sauerkraut and eggs. Combine the flour, salt and pepper; stir into potato mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides, using remaining oil as needed. Drain on paper towels. Top with sour cream and green onions if desired. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Latkes in Taste of Home December/January 2012, p37
Reviews for Sauerkraut Latkes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 22, 2015
"These were terrible!!! Not sure what I did wrong."