This dish was brought to our school picnic by a neighbor. She took home an empty pan—and we all took home the recipe.—Lucy Mohlman, Crete, Nebraska
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups (4 to 6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the salt and pepper. Spoon half of beef mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with half of sauerkraut and noodles. Repeat layers. Combine soups and milk; pour over noodles.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Hot Dish in Country Ground Beef 1993, p45
Reviews for Sauerkraut Hotdish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 20, 2015
"I liked the taste of this, but there just wasn't a whole lot to it. I did cut this recipe in half, and used an 8 inch square dish, and it barely filled it half full."