We often serve this hearty dish at family gatherings, and the men especially seem to enjoy it. My sister gave me this recipe about 15 years ago, and it has been a favorite ever since. The blend of ingredients is a pleasant surprise.
- 1-1/2 pounds pork stew meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink. Add the onion and celery; cook until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the sauerkraut, noodles, soup and mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Hot Dish in Reminisce Extra February 1993, p49
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sauerkraut Hot Dish
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review