Sauerkraut Ham Balls Recipe
Cooking is something I've always enjoyed...particularly when I'm doing it for people who enjoy eating! This dish is such a family favorite that I'll buy a ham sometimes just so I can make. I'm a city bus driver who likes to swap recipes with passengers. My husband and I have two sons, 20 and 18.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 20 min. YIELD:20 servings
- 1 pound ground fully cooked ham
- 1 jar (16 ounces) sauerkraut, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs, divided
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the ham, sauerkraut, onion and 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. In another bowl, combine the cream cheese, parsley, mustard, garlic powder and pepper; stir into sauerkraut mixture. Chill for 1 hour or overnight.
- 2. Shape into 3/4-in. balls; coat with flour. In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk. Dip ham balls into the egg mixture, then roll in the remaining bread crumbs.
- 3. In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 375°. Fry ham balls until golden brown; drain on paper towels. Yield: 5 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC