Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake Recipe
For an adventurous cake, try this recipe. People might need a little coaxing to try it but once they do, they will love it.—The Fremont Company
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
- SILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, beat butter, chocolate and vanilla in a bowl; add sugar and beat well. Add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 680 calories, 31 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 598 mg sodium, 99 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC