- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
- SILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, chocolate and vanilla in a bowl; add sugar and beat well. Add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake
"I used a ganache-like frosting instead of the one in the recipe. The cake tasted good, but had kind of a rubbery texture. This could be due to the fact that I accidentally melted the butter instead of just softening it. I will try this again."
"I made this years ago for my family and fooled them all. Everyone just loved it and were floored when I told them what was in it. You CAN NOT taste or see sauerkraut in it at all. Delicious!"
"This recipe was very good. I made a few changes, as I am trying to watch my weight. Instead of 1/2 cup of butter I used 1/4 and added 1/4 cup of prune puree. Instead of 1 1/2 cups of sugar, I used 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup of spenda. Instead of water I used 1 cup of coffee. For the icing I added only 1/4 cup of butter 8 oz of low fat cream cheese, plus skim milk to make the icing creamy. It was absolutely fantastic! My friends and family loved it!"