For an adventurous cake, try this recipe. People might need a little coaxing to try it but once they do, they will love it.—The Fremont Company
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
- SILK CHOCOLATE FROSTING:
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, chocolate and vanilla in a bowl; add sugar and beat well. Add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake in Country Woman September/October 1997, p41
Reviews for Sauerkraut Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review