Mom brewed her own sauerkraut and, of course, the cabbage was from our big farm garden! Blending the kraut with spicy sausage and apples was Mom's favorite way to fix it, and I still love this country dish. —Rosemary Pryor, Pasadena, Maryland
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the apples, sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Casserole in Taste of Home February/March 1993, p35
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Sauerkraut Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review