Mom brewed her own sauerkraut and, of course, the cabbage was from our big farm garden! Blending the kraut with spicy sausage and apples was Mom's favorite way to fix it, and I still love this country dish.
Rosemary Pryor, Pasadena, Maryland
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium apples, peeled and quartered
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until
- sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Stir in the
- apples, sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 1
- hour. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 188 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 905 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer