- 2/3 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped onions, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- In a large bowl, combine the ham, rice, 3/4 cup onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; crumble beef over mixture and mix gently.
- In a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, place half of the sauerkraut; sprinkle with half of the remaining onions. Top with meat mixture, remaining sauerkraut and onions. Sprinkle with sugar and remaining salt and pepper. Top with bacon.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 65-70 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Beef Supper in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p68
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sauerkraut Beef Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review