- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tart apple
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugars; set aside. Squeeze sauerkraut until dry; finely chop and add to egg mixture. Peel and finely grate apple; squeeze dry. Stir into egg mixture. Add oil and walnuts. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture.
- Line two 8-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour paper and sides of pan. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons cream in a small bowl. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add orange peel, cinnamon and vanilla; mix well. Add remaining cream if needed. Spread between layers and over entire cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Apple Cake in Country Extra November 1995, p49
Reviews for Sauerkraut Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review