Sweet and sour is what comes to mind with this cake. Apples and sauerkraut have always complimented each other so well and the cream cheese frosting makes it extra sweet.—Eleanor Lais, Lafayette, New Jersey
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 large tart apple
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugars; set aside. Squeeze sauerkraut until dry; finely chop and add to egg mixture. Peel and finely grate apple; squeeze dry. Stir into egg mixture. Add oil and walnuts. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture.
- Line two 8-in. round baking pans with waxed paper; grease and flour paper and sides of pan. Pour batter into pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and 2 tablespoons cream in a small bowl. Add sugar; beat until fluffy. Add orange peel, cinnamon and vanilla; mix well. Add remaining cream if needed. Spread between layers and over entire cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Sauerkraut Apple Cake in Country Extra November 1995, p49
Reviews for Sauerkraut Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review