I make this hearty dish often for guests. I think the sauerkraut tastes very much like what we enjoyed in Munich restaurants when we visited Germany.
- 3 cups sauerkraut, well drained
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pork chops (1 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, applesauce, broth, bacon, brown sugar and seasonings; spoon into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil; drain. Place chops over the sauerkraut mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Pork Chops and Sauerkraut in Country October/November 1998, p51
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sauerkraut and Pork Chops
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review