- 3 cups sauerkraut, well drained
- 2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 pork chops (1 inch thick and 7 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut, applesauce, broth, bacon, brown sugar and seasonings; spoon into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil; drain. Place chops over the sauerkraut mixture. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Sauerkraut and Pork Chops
"SKIP the oregano in this dish. The spices in this recipe do not work well with the rest of the ingredients! Yuck. Never making again."
"Oh my gosh! This recipe is so fantastic I would give it 6 stars if I could. I have NEVER written a review about any recipe before. Honestly, I don't care for pork chops so much because they never turn out very good. My husband HATES sauerkraut. The pork chops turned out so tasty and my husband ate a second helping of the sauerkraut. He couldn't believe how good it was. Thank you for the recipe and changing my husband's opinion about sauerkraut. I will DEFINITELY be making this again. Probably for New Years Eve. :)"
"I personally just do not care for kraut that has been sweetened too much. For this recipe, I reduced the applesauce in half and took out the brown sugar. I C. of applesauce was plenty to take away the "sauer" from the kraut! I also added some white wine. To make it more like a Choucrout Garni dish, I used half regular chops, half smoked chops, and even threw in a few hot dogs if I had them on hand."
"This is a keeper! Yum!"
"This was great. My husband loved the Sauerkraut/Apple sauce combination. My only suggestion would be to check the pork at 45 minutes as mine was a bit dry after an hour. We will be making this again."
"I made this today and it was really really good. I tried to add it to my recipe box and it is in there but it won't let me look at it. What's up with that?"