Sauerkraut 'n' Sausage
"I've fixed this satisfying stovetop supper for dozens of group gatherings, and everyone seems to enjoy the wonderful blend of flavors," reports Hebron, Indiana's Edna Hoffman. Sweet and tart ingredients balance nicely, complemented with bacon and spices.
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3-1/2 cups diced cooked peeled potatoes
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 medium unpeeled apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add
- sauerkraut, sausage, potatoes, apple juice and apple. In a small
- bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and caraway; stir into
- saucepan. Simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with
- bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 230 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 859 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer