Sauerkraut 'n' Sausage Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound fully cooked Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 3-1/2 cups diced cooked peeled potatoes
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 medium unpeeled apple, diced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add sauerkraut, sausage, potatoes, apple juice and apple. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and caraway; stir into saucepan. Simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 each: 230 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 859mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Sauerkraut 'n' Sausage
"Have made this many times now and shared it with family and friends . they all say its tasty."
"Yum...this is a very tasty and satisfying dish."
"I found this recipe a year or two ago and have made it many times. My family loves it! It's absolutely delicious as written, however, sometimes I add some smoked pork chop as well. I serve with a good crusty bread and Beer'n Brat Horseradish Mustard! The mustard is essential to this recipe. Thank you Edna for an awesome recipe. :)"
"I rediscovered this recipe because I printed it from the TOH's web site in May 2008 (that was before I found out that I could have put it in "my recipes" file. I had made it then for a church's pot luck dinner & it was totally consumed! I also wrote on it in red, " EXCELLENT"! I am again making it for an Easter dinner tomorrow for gathering of my family. Lucky me I came across it."
"I used granny smith apples, and my husband said it was a bit too much apple flavor."