Sauerbraten Stew Recipe
"With this original recipe, I was one of 10 finalists at an Ohio Beef Council Beef Cook-Off," notes Margaret Ashcraft of Piqua, Ohio. "Serve this hearty sweet-and-sour spicy dish with parsley potatoes, German spaetzles or noodles."
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3/4 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the water, vinegar and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; cool. Sprinkle beef with salt, pepper and nutmeg; place in a large resealable plastic bag. Add onion, parsley, bay leaf and cooled marinade. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup marinade. Discard bay leaf. Place the beef and reserved marinade in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 3. Stir in raisins. Combine cornstarch and cream; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over noodles. Yield: 2 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC